Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sql Server 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnCronin

Technical User
Jun 13, 2003
US
Currently running 7.6.300. Has anyone upgraded to SQL Server 2005. Are there problems as a result of this. Is Macola still shipping 2000?

I have only a few clients on 7.6.400 but that's the only version that's supporting SQL 2005 right now. You should still be able to get SQL 2000 from Exact. ES won't be supported on SQL 2005 until the next release. Hopefully, it will be later this year because I have a couple of clients on ES that are waiting for it.

Kevin Scheeler

Out of curiosity, what are you clients waiting for that is in sql 2005?

Thanks

Andy Baldwin

"Testing is the most overlooked programming language on the books!"

Ask a great question, get a great answer. Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.
Find out how to get great answers FAQ219-2884.

Thanks so much for your responses on this subject.

The reason for wanting to install SQL 2005 is they are currently on Pervasive and upgrading to Sql. They would like to be on the most current version. In addition the reporting services and business intelligence will provide greater opportunities for managing their business.

One is it's ability to support 64bit and the other at least for one client is SQL's ability to do Database Mirroring

========================================================
Database Mirroring
Database mirroring allows continuous streaming of the transaction log from a source server to a single destination server. In the event of a failure of the primary system, applications can immediately reconnect to the database on the secondary server. The secondary instance detects failure of the primary server within seconds and accepts database connections immediately. Database mirroring works on standard server hardware and requires no special storage or controllers. Figure 1 shows the basic configuration of database mirroring.
========================================================

Taken from

Kevin Scheeler

Thanks Kevin, That is what I was looking at as well. Since Macola does not support clustering I was thinking that the 2005 data mirroring would be a good way to have a redundant system despite Macola.

Thanks for the info.

Andy Baldwin

Ask a great question, get a great answer. Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.

Clustering does work though. I only have 1 client set up that way but they wanted high availability because their servers are in a data center. Exact doesn't support it but it's not really a function of Macola but a function of SQL and Windows.

Kevin Scheeler

Yea, I have one running that way as well. Have only run into one instance where we had to place a call to Macola and they of course said that the problem could not be with the software it must be with clustering. Could not make them understand that clustering had nothing to do with their software.

Any idea with the mirror how Macola would react. does the mirror take over as the same server name and all or do you have to code something to talk to the mirror on loss of connection to the db? I am asking more from a VB standpoint than macola. Can not find the answer to that question in the SQL 2005 whitepapers.

Thanks

Andy Baldwin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back