Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server 2005 Setup Issues on Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunk

Programmer
Aug 20, 2001
AU
I have SQL Server 2005 setup executables that I have successfully set up on Windows XP previously. I am now trying to install it to my Windows 7 machine.

On firing up setup.exe, I immediately received the message that there was a compatability issue and that I needed to install SQL Server 2005 service pack 3 after install before running SQL Server. Fine, I proceeded with the install.

The initial install proceeded well up to the step 'Visual Studio Integrated Development...', and then fell over with no specific error. FYI - I have .Net Framework Version 4 Extended installed and visible in Programs.
Question 1: .Net 3.5.1 is enabled, but not visible in Programs?

I then installed SQL Server 2005 service pack 3 and attempted to install client tools again. However, it keeps falling over on the same step...'Visual Studio Integrated Development...'
FYI - the installer informs me that I have an instance of SQL Server already installed (expected), but now I cannot even find the usual SQL Server programs in 'Programs and Features' to uninstall them and get a fresh start.

I have been on this merry-go-round for a while now and am starting to get dizzy. Any help much appreciated.

What gets us into trouble is not what we don’t know, its what we know for sure that just ain’t so.

Try installing Visual Studio 2005 first.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back