Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server 2005 - fieldname alias issue (datatypes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rw409168

Programmer
Jul 16, 2009
GB
Greetings,

I have the following vb.net code
Code:
Using populateRoomsAdaptor = New SqlDataAdapter("Select r.RoomID, r.RoomID & ' - ' & r.Location & ' - ' & r.Facilities as roomLookup from Rooms r", conn)

This errors with
SQL Exception - Conversion failed converting the nvarchar value 'Meeting Room1' to data type int.

This I believe is because roomID is an int whereas the other fields are nvarchar.

If I remove roomID for the alias field the it runs without error.

Can I create an alias field containing differing datatypes, if so how?

Thanks
Rob

You can convert integers to varchars. Also, you should use the + operator instead of &.

Code:
Using populateRoomsAdaptor = New SqlDataAdapter("Select r.RoomID, Convert(nVarChar(20), r.RoomID) + ' - ' + r.Location + ' - ' + r.Facilities as roomLookup from Rooms r", conn)

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Just found this out :) but used Cast instead.

Code:
Using populateRoomsAdaptor = New SqlDataAdapter("Select r.RoomID, Cast(r.RoomID AS varchar) + ' - ' + r.Location + ' - ' + r.Facilities roomLookup from Rooms r", conn)

Thanks anyway, just had to step away from the problem and approach it from a different angle.

Cheers.

Cast is not significantly different from convert, but there is a significant difference in the way you implemented it.

Cast(r.RoomID AS [!]varchar[/!])

When you convert or cast to varchar, you should ALWAYS specify a size. In fact, whenever you use varchar, you should specify a size. Make it a habit and then never deviate from that habit. If you are using a varchar (without a size specified) as a parameter, the default size is 1 character. During cast/convert, the size is 32 characters. Clearly 32 characters is enough for an integer, but.... this can trip you up in other "hard to find" places.

I encourage you to read this:

Nevermind that it says nvarchar. nvarchar and varchar behave exactly the same for the purposes of this discussion.

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Thanks I will give it a read, cheers again for all the other help :)

Will specify a size from now on, best I learn these things early as still a newbie to VB.net/Ado.net.

It's easier to form good habits than it is to break a bad one. [smile]

-George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back