Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server 2005 Data Transformation Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warlocks

Technical User
Jan 9, 2003
GB
Hi,

We are migrating from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 and I have managed to import the old DTS packages into the new system.
I wanted to make sure we could modify the packages and apparently SQL 2005 uses something called Business Intelligence Development Studio. This has now been installed but, contrary to some documentation (with screen shots) found on the web, I don't have the option of amending or creating a Data Transformation Project.

Does anyone know why this would be?

I did have the thought of the version we are using which is the standard version but I'm sure DTS was available on the standard version of SQL 2000 so I would have thought that we should have it available in the standard version of SQL 2005...

Cheers,

Woody.

You will need to download Microsoft SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components

you will then be able to edit the legacy DTS packages

BIDS will only allow you to create packages under the new ETL (SSIS)

[sub]____________ signature below ______________
The worst mistake you'll ever make is to do something simply the way you know how while ignoring the way it should be done[/sub]

side note: you will not be able to create new DTS packages in 2005 which in all rights you shouldn't be able to

[sub]____________ signature below ______________
The worst mistake you'll ever make is to do something simply the way you know how while ignoring the way it should be done[/sub]

SQL Server 2005 wants you to upgrade DTS packages to SSIS packages as its normal modis operandi. If you install the DTS components, as per onpnt's suggestion, though, you should still be able to use DTS.

I personally don't recommend it because SSIS is so much better than DTS and Microsoft is cutting a lot of DTS functionality out in the future, but if you want to keep your DTS packages, that's the way to go.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back