Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server 2000... Timeout Expired error...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kindred

Programmer
Feb 28, 2001
US
I keep getting a "Timeout expired" error when trying to run an update on 350,000 records using ADO.Net.

Below is the code I'm using....

Dim ConnectionString As String
ConnectionString = "Data Source=""sac-sql-001"";Initial Catalog=""Main"";Persist Security Info=""False"";Workstation ID=""SHARDIE"";Integrated Security=""SSPI"";"

Dim conn As New SqlClient.SqlConnection(ConnectionString)
conn.Open()

Dim Table As String = "header"
Dim File As String = "C:\temp\test123.txt"

Dim cmd As New SqlClient.SqlCommand("", conn)
cmd.CommandText = "Update " & Table.Trim & " Set filename = @filename, id = @id + REPLICATE('0', 10 - LEN([linenum])) + RTRIM(LTRIM([linenum]))"
cmd.Parameters.Add("@filename", File)
cmd.Parameters.Add("@id", IO.Path.GetFileName(File) & "_")
cmd.CommandTimeout = 600 '10 minutes
cmd.ExecuteNonQuery() 'Fails Here

conn.Close()

Exception Details...
Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
at KP.SAC.Debugging.frmDebug.Button12_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Source\Test\Debugging\frmDebug.vb:line 515

And here's the specs of what I'm running...
All of this is on the same LAN using WinForms.
.Net Framework v1.1 (VS .Net 2003)
SQL Server 2000 SP3a
2Gig Pentium sql server machine, 512 MB of RAM, 40 gig hard drive.

Table Info:
350,000 records
33 Fields

Fields used in the update info...

Field Data Type Length Allow Nulls Identity
id varchar 150 Yes No
filename varchar 150 Yes No
linenum int 4 No Yes, (Seed = 1, Increment = 1)

As a side note, the same update under SQL Query Analyzer works fine and takes 48 seconds to run.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

Run the query in Query Analyzer with the "SET STATISTICS TIME ON" option turned on. That will show you how long your update query is spending in the parser, as well as in actual execution.

It could be that it actually takes that long...

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Except... I can accept the 48 seconds in query analyzer, but why does setting the CommandTimeout property to 10 minutes have no effect (I know it doesn't take this long)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back