Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server 2000 ODBC import speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

yojayy

Programmer
Oct 17, 2002
US
I notice when I link to a SQL Server 2000 table containing about 300K records (or any # actually), the import process is painfully slow when I browse the table. I've noticed that MOUSE movement during the import can drastically increase the download speed. Alternately, typing GO BOTT in the COMMAND WINDOW after the browse window is opened forces the pointer to the end, thus maximizing the import speed. Does anyone know the reason behind this and is there a better way to refresh my ODBC connection to SQL Server 2000?

I am using the Project Manager in Visual FoxPro 7.0 on a pIII 733 (256MB RAM).

TIA for any insight

yojayy

In any client server application, you should minimize the number of records you request. "Browsing" 300K records is really not a good design for a C/S program.

I'd concentrate on changing the design philosophy rather than worrying about why SQL Server or VFP is "slow".

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back