Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server 2000 Install failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdtt

Programmer
Sep 24, 2002
CA
Hi,

I am unable to install SQL Server on a Windows 2000 Server box. The error returned is "SQL Server does not exist or access denied". Here is the failure section from sqlstp.log:

Starting Service ...

SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

-m -Q -T4022 -T3659

Connecting to Server ...

driver={sql server};server=SQLDEV1;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Shared Memory]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Shared Memory]ConnectionOpen (Connect()).

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Shared Memory]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

SQL Server configuration failed.

I directed the setup program to use the local system account
and set the sa password as blank (it is a development server).

Does anyone know why the SQL server configuration failed?

Thank you

Try the following steps
Start --- Programs -- Microsoft SQL Server --- Client Network Utility -- Go to alias tab --- Add a Server alias in the list

Then try to connect to the server from isqlw ,you will be prompted a dialog which ask for SQL Server name,Which authentication u want to use to connect it.
Scroll down the list server name ,pick the one which you just added ,then select SQL authentication give sa and blank pwd

Hi Claire,

Thanks for the posting. The install program did not put any items on the start menu. I have tried all the executible programs in the 80\binn directory and did not find the "Client Network Utility".

Also, even though there is a sqlsunin.ini file in the MSSQL folder, the add/remove program failed when I tried to uninstall the program.

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Claire,

I have found out how to clear the registry of SQL Server settings. I also set up a seperate NT account for SQL Server, stopped the IIS service and then deleted all SQL server files on the system. My next attempt at installing has been successful.

Thank you for your input. It gave me a starting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back