Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sql server 2000 encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeezwiz

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2003
AU
Hi,

I have created several stored procedures using (WITH ENCRYPTION) option, which makes the proc unreadable.

I have now found utiliies out there that can decrypt and make stored procs available to anybody.

Is there a work around this?

No. The only encryption option that you can use with stored procedures is the with encryption option.

The only other way would be to put your code in an exe and run it as a seperate app, or in a dll and install it as an extended stored procedure.

You will have to trust your customers not to decrypt the stored procedures.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

Is there a way you can set permissions or even a username/password on the stored proc to prevent the code being available?

Only problem I see with that is that the sa (db owner) account will have access to all objects in the database anyway?

The only permission you can set on a stored procedure is Exec. Clearly you need that or the sp is useless.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

No, there is no way to set a username or password on a procedure to prevent someone else from looking at the code. The only thing you can do within the SQL Server is use the WITH ENCRYPTION option when creating the procedure.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

your average business user typically doesn't have the time to worry about, or the skills to decrypting a sp.

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

MDXer - Your average business user doesn't know there is a database backend to an application!

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

Skeezwiz,
you seem to be genuinely concerned about the SP's code. Depending on how you execute the code you may consider using a DTS package with owner and user password. That added to Windows authentication should fixed a great deal of your problem...

SQLSister,
My point exactly [2thumbsup]

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back