Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sql server 2000: an error message concerning "filegroup" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pssheba

Programmer
Oct 22, 2004
IL
Hi !
An error message is appearing while adding data to tables preventing them from inserting data.
ERROR
Could not allocate space for object 'MYTABLE' in database 'MYDB' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full.

Could any one explain me what "filegroup" stands for? how i can allocate more space to it so people can start working ?

a filegroup is the file where the data is physically saved by SQL Server. you will be able to find info on this in the Db's properties.

right click on the DB, choose properties, choose the Data Files tab, check wether "Automatically Grow Files" is enabled.

another input, check if space is really in the drive that holds the DB...

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Thank you.
"automatically growth" is signed.
"file growth by percent" is 10.
"space allocated(MB)" is 1991
Do you see any reason why i should get that error ?
I use a system which i downloaded from the internet for free. Could the problem be hidden there ? Is there still something to do to make more space in "Primary" file group ?
Thanks again !

If the file group is setup to grow automatically and you are still getting the error then odds are your drive is full (or has less than 10% of the allocated size free).

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Could it be the reason i'm using mde 2000 and already reached 1.9 gb ?

Yes, msde has a 2 gb database limit. 2005 Express also has the same 2 gb limit.

- Paul
- Database performance looks fine, it must be the Network!

SQL Express is 4 GB now.

[sub]____________ signature below ______________
The worst mistake you'll ever make is to do something simply the way you know how while ignoring the way it should be done[/sub]

Yep.

Manually grow the database to exactly 2 Gigs. That will be as large as you can go. You will either need to delete data from the database, or uninstall and purchase and install SQL Server 2000 Standard (or upgrade to SQL 2005 Express).

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Thanks a lot mrdenny !
Manually expanding the volume of the server to 2 GB put the sever back to work...
We'll have to think of enlarging our server otherway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back