Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server 2000 - Active Directory Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHardy

Programmer
May 9, 2001
GB
We are shortly going to be migrating from NT domain to Active Directory. We are running Windows Server 2003 & SQL Server 2000.

Most of our SQL Server applications are using Windows authentication/ passthrough. However, I believe that we may use some SQL authentication (at a sys admin level).

We are a bit concerned that we do not know what is going to happen regarding the ownership of DTS packages and jobs. All users will be getting new usernames, and we fear that this may cause jobs to fail.

Would someone please be able to advise how the AD migration may affect SQL Server?

I am under the assumption that SIDs will remain unchanged, and that they will simply be renamed. I am unsure what is happening regarding the domain name.

Will we need to manually change ownership of DTS packages & jobs? Or will this be handled with the migration?

Many Thanks,
Simon

Are you going to be upgrading the domain controllers from NT4 to Windows 2003 or are you setting up a new domain and migrating objects to the new domain?

If everyones logins are going to change, I'd assume that you will be migrating to a new domain. However with out the answer to that question specifid advise will be hard to give.

Generally speaking, jobs are owned by users. Those users must exist for the job to run.

DTS packages are also owned by users. Those users do not need to exist for the package to be executed. However once the owner of a package no longer exists on the domain only a member of the sysadmin group can edit the package.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Do not know the full details. I will have to check with the Ops people (I am just a developer, and a newbie at that!).

However, I believe that they will be setting up a new domain. It is part of a process to fit in with our parent company. This affecting ALL naming conventions so that they follow a standard. This will include the domain names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back