Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL scripting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

scevbact

Technical User
Jan 3, 2013
US
I have two SQL tables with a one to many relationship. I will join on the common field . What I want to do is to pull the common field from one table and find the First, or top value in a filed from the "many table". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks[bigsmile]

Code:
SELECT *
FROM OneTable
INNER JOIN (SELECT *, ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY CommonField ORDER BY WhatEverYouWant) AS RC
                   FROM ManyTable) ManyTable ON OneTable.CommonField = ManyTable.CommonFIeld AND ManyTable.RC = 1

Borislav Borissov
VFP9 SP2, SQL Server

Thank you Borislav. What would I put in the parenthesis in ROW()?

Borislav, do you have a link to somewhere I could read about the PARTITION stuff? I have the worst time wrapping my brain around it... I'm probably over-complicating it.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back