Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL return code in VBscript

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agro42

MIS
Apr 11, 2003
US
Ok, I've searched the web with Google, and I've read over 100 Q&As on this forum, but I can't find anywhere how to get the SQL return code out of a recordset after an insert.
I am doing inserts of records that come from an outside vendor, and they often send records with duplicate keys.
I want to do an insert into DB2, then get the return code and check for timeouts, duplicate keys or any of the other possible errors.
How do I get the SQLCode?

have you set on error resume next and then create an error handler? That is what I do. After my execute step, I say

if err.number <> 0 then
wscript.echo err.description
end if

Try that, but make sure you have on error resume next inside the sub/function (if you are using one) that executes the db request.

If you do the insert with DAO, you may take a look at the RecordsAffected property of the object used for the Execute method.

Hope This Help, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

I managed to get what I needed. This is what my code looks like:
Code:
dim sqlstring
dim err
sqlstring = "insert into atpa...."
Set rsATPA = CreateObject("ADODB.REcordSet")
On Error Resume Next
set rsATPA = Conn.Execute(SQLstring)
retcode=0
on error goto 0
If conn.Errors.count <> 0 Then 
   retcode = Conn.Errors(0).NativeError
End If

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back