Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsfhaergta

Programmer
Oct 6, 2008
US
Hi, I'm not quite a sql expert, and have been having some trouble figuring this out:

I have one table with ID, Side=1 or 2, and Qty. I'd like to group by ID where sum(Qty) where Side=1 - sum(Qty) where Side=2.

So basically the difference of all Qty's having side=1 minus all Qty's having side=2.

Table:
+--------+------+------+
| ID | Side | Qty |
+--------+------+------+
| 217938 | 1 | 100 |
| 217938 | 1 | 300 |
| 217938 | 1 | 250 |
| 217938 | 2 | 275 |
| 217938 | 2 | 120 |
| 217938 | 2 | 30 |
| 217939 | 2 | 125 |
+--------+------+------+

Result:

ID Difference
217938 225
217939 -125

Anyone able to figure this out? Thanks

Hope it helps.

Code:
SELECT A.ID, COALESCE(B.Qty, 0)-A.Qty FROM 
	(SELECT ID, SUM(Qty) AS Qty, AVG(Side) AS Side FROM #T WHERE Side = 2 GROUP BY ID, Side) AS A
		LEFT OUTER JOIN 
	(SELECT ID, SUM(Qty) AS Qty, AVG(Side) AS Side FROM #T WHERE Side = 1 GROUP BY ID, Side) AS B
		ON A.ID = B.ID

Forgot to mention, replace #T with your table.

:)

Hi,

Code:
select distinct(id),
isnull((select sum(qty) from [Table] t1 where t1.id = t.id and side = 1),0) - 
isnull((select sum(qty) from [Table] t1 where t1.id = t.id and side = 2),0) as calc
from [Table] t

Ryan

select ID, Sum1 - Sum2 as difference from (select ID, sum(case when Side=1 then qty else 0 end) as Sum1, sum(case when Side=2 then qty else 0 end) as Sum2 from myTable group by ID) mySums

select ID,sum(qty * case when side = 1 then 1 else -1 end) as TotalQty
From YourTable
Group by ID

If you could change 2 with -1 in the table, you can get rid of Case and only have sum(qty * side)
This could have the advantage of being able to cancel any entry by setting its 'side' to 0.

HTH

[pipe]
Daniel Vlas
Systems Consultant

Hi Danvlas,

Yes, this is nice. I was only half way through with my idea and you made it much simplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back