Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Query with Dynamic Columns Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cojiro

MIS
Mar 20, 2003
US
I have three tables in a relational database: User, Expense, and ExpenseDescription.

User Table Fields: UserID, Name, Age

Expense Table Fields: ExpenseID, Amount, ExpenseDescriptionID, UserID

ExpenseDescription Fields: ExpenseDescriptionID, Description

Problem: I need to write a summary query that would return the following Columns:
User.Name, [sum of Expense.Amount for each type of expense] as ExpenseDescription.Description

This is where [sum of Amount for each type of expense] would create a column for every entry in the ExpenseDescription table. I have no idea where to begin on this. Does anyone know how I should go about this? Please let me know if I need to clarify this problem.

Here is a sample of the desired output if ExpenseDescription only had 3 columns:

Name RentalCar Hotel Misc
Joe 0 200 10
Bob 100 130 0

Yeah, I know practically I could just run this normally, throw this in a pivot table and get my disired results. The problem is I would like to take the results of this query and use it as a datasource for a gridview control on a webform. So my options here are kind of limited...

Can't you use a CrossTab query as the datasource of your gridview ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

I'm not sure, I'll give it a try though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back