Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Query Using Count function

Status
Not open for further replies.

bholm

Programmer
Aug 28, 2001
US
I want to filter or reduce my query results further based on only those records that have a count > some number.
How can I use a subquery to do this?

I have a ID column in table A and a table B that has Cat column and ID column that references table A ID column value. There are many records in table B for each ID in table A.

I want to SELECT all table A IDs that have a table B Cat value of 101 AND has a count of table B ID values > 2 (i.e. there is more than two records in table B for the table A ID, one of which is Cat 101.)

Hope this makes sense. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Your question is quite confusing could you explain your query by some sample data in row and column format.
eg
Table A
COL1 COL2
A 1
B 1
B 2
C 1
Could you rewrite your query with such and eg. giving how your data is and what should be the output.

Thanks.

I am not sure, if I understood correctly. Your select may look like this:
[tt]select *
from Tab_A
where id in (
select b2.id
from Tab_B b1,
Tab_B b2
where b1.rowid<>b2.rowid
and b1.id=b2.id
and b1.cat = '101'
)
[/tt]

The statement ensures automatically, that there are at least two rows in Tab_B.
If you will need to restrict a query to count (in some other case), you can use [tt]having count(*)>2[/tt].

select b.id from b
where exist(select 1 from b b1 where b.id=b1.id and b1.cat=101)
group by id
having count(*)>2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back