Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Query to give recordset

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazza11

Technical User
Jan 12, 2003
AU
I suppose I should be thankfull - 12 months ago I had great difficult creating SQL statements/queries and today I can at least perform basic queries etc. That said I spent hours last night trying to create a query that performs the following.

I have three Tables.

Employees with Fields EmpID, LastName and FirstName
Subjects - with fields NumID, SubID, EmpID and DateCompleted
SubDescr - with fields SubID and SubjectDescription

The table employees contains a list of peoples names. SubDescr contains a list of Subject Descriptions (ie Maths, English, Science and Drawing). The table Subjects contains a list of all people (EmpID) who have completed the subjects (SubID) and the date they completed the subject.

What I am trying to do is perform a query that provides a recordset of employees and details on whether they have completed the subjects or not - if they have what date was it completed. I seem to be able to get a recordset with names listing subjects completed but not on the same line. For example say Fred Smith has completed Maths and Drawing and Bill Jones has completed only Maths, can I get a query result as follows:

Fred Smith Maths 2/2/2003 Drawing 3/3/2003
Bill Jones Maths 5/5/2003

I don't think you can using a query the way your tables are currently set up. You are probably getting results like

Fred Smith Maths 2/2/2003
Fred Smith Drawing 3/3/2003
Bill Jones Maths 5/5/2003

Unless you change the structure of your subjects table, I don't think you can do it.

Dodge20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back