Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL query performance thrashes hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

e7akerson

Technical User
Nov 17, 2000
US
I am running SQL Server 2000 on Windows NT 4.0. Friday I did some disk maintenance and installed a new program from Data Flux. Monday afternoon I tried to run several SQL queries and no matter what one I tried the performance was extremely poor. Queries that had taken normally 9 seconds to run were taking ten minutes and not finishing. I had an SQL programmer take a look at my problem and he redid my query and still no go. We sent the SQL query via email to his PC, cut and pasted it, and ran it there fine.

I did an uninstall and then a reinstall of SQL Server 2000 and it did not help. I have noticed that when trying to connect on SQL Query Analyzer and SQL Enterprise Manager it is real slow.

I have another eval program called SQL Programmer from BMC Patrol and I can run the query just fine. I have no Administrator rights so can't run a trace form SQL Profiler.

Hope somebody has a clue as to what to do.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back