Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Query over the WAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimpa1

Technical User
Jan 27, 2005
US
Howdy People!!!
My user is running a simple SQL query (that's what he says) on a Austin server 10.0.144.179 to a Houston server 10.0.102.4. It takes 3 sec if he does it from the same LAN, but it takes 6-8 minutes going through a WAN.

I have a sniffer trace that shows mostly "Bad Checksum"
What can I do to fix this?

6-8 min is not acceptable. Or is it a design issue where my user should't be running the SQL query through the WAN?
Or is it just the amount of time to be expected over the WAN?

It bothers me that I have 13285 Bad Checksum & 3846 Malformed Packet & 4 Chats.

This is my first time useing wireshark or a sniffer and I have know idea what it means.
Any help is appreciated =D

Checksum: 0x0b10 [incorrect, should be 0xd11b (maybe caused by "TCP checksum offload"?)]
Bad Checksum: True

Bad checksums and malformed packets = garbage traffic that had to be retransmitted. This indicates a bad link between your sites (possible mtu mismatch), and does explain the long time delay.

Does it only do this on the SQL query? If you copy a file between those two servers does wireshark still report bad checksums?

--
The stagehand's axiom: "Never lift what you can drag, never drag what you can roll, never roll what you can leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back