Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Query Help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

redoakhg

Programmer
Nov 30, 2006
US
Wondering if you can help me. I have a friend who is generating a list from check boxes on a form. He then wants to retrieve clients who subscribe to newsletters based on the list, it's been 10 years since I've done any programming and I can’t remember how to do it.

This is what he has:

<cfoutput>
<cfset coldfusion_list = "#recipientlist#">
#listLen(coldfusion_list)# [highlight #A40000]<!---In testing this returns 8 elements as it should – These elements are Newsletter ID numbers (15395,15399,15400,15404,15408,15409,15425,15423)--->[/highlight]
</cfoutput>

<cfloop index = "ListElement" list = "#coldfusion_list#">

<cfquery name="getclients" datasource="#db#">
Select clientemail
FROM VIEW_SendNotification
WHERE newsletterid IN (#ListElement#)

[highlight #CC0000]<!—This WHERE statement is his problem – He wants to retrieve users if they match any of the newsletter ID’s. In this case they have to match ALL newsletter ID’s and I can’t remember how to loop over the list.
Here’s what he wants it to do – WHERE newsletterid = ‘15395’ OR newsletterid = ‘15399’ OR newsletterid =’15400’ OR newsletterid =’15404’ OR newsletterid = ‘15408’ OR newsletterid =’15409’ OR newsletterid =’15425’ OR newsletterid =’15423’[/highlight]
</cfquery>

</cfloop>
<cfoutput query="getclients">#clientemail#<br /></cfoutput>

He wants to retrieve users if they match any of the newsletter ID’s. In this case they have to match ALL newsletter ID’s

Which one do you want: any of all? If you mean you only want clients that subscribed to all eight (8) newsletters, use a HAVING clause instead of looping.

Code:
SELECT clientemail, COUNT(*) AS TotalNewsLetters
FROM   VIEW_SendNotification
WHERE  newsletterid IN (
) 
GROUP BY clientemail
HAVING COUNT(*) = 8

Written dynamically, it would be something like this. Note: Assumes your list does not contain duplicate newsletter id's.

Code:
<!--- sample list --->
<cfset uniqueListOfNewsLetterIDs = "15395,15399,15400,15404,15408,15409,15425,15423">

<cfquery ...>
SELECT clientemail, COUNT(*) AS TotalNewsLetters
FROM   VIEW_SendNotification
WHERE  newsletterid IN (
        <cfqueryparam value="#uniqueListOfNewsLetterIDs#" cfsqltype="cf_sql_integer" list="true">
) 
HAVING COUNT(*) = <cfqueryparam value="#listLen(uniqueListOfNewsLetterIDs)#" cfsqltype="cf_sql_integer">
</cfquery>

----------------------------------

What I need are clients that subscribe to ANY of the newsletters in the list. Thanks so much for your help.

Then all you need is an IN clause. No loop. Just pass in the list of newsletter id's

<cfquery name="getclients" datasource="#db#">
SELECT clientemail
FROM VIEW_SendNotification
WHERE newsletterid IN (
<cfqueryparam value="#uniqueListOfNewsLetterIDs#" cfsqltype="cf_sql_integer" list="true">
)
</cfquery>

Note, you might need to use SELECT DISTINCT to suppress duplicates.

Depending on your tables, another possibility is using an EXISTS clause. I do not know your table structure, but say you have:
[ul]
[li]Client / Columns: ClientID, ClientName, .... (Unique clients)[/li]
[li]NewsLetter / Columns: NewsLetterID, NewsLetterTitle, .. (Unique newsletters)[/li]
[li]ClientNewsLetter / Columns: ClientID, NewsLetterID (Subscriptions by client)[/li]
[/ul]

You could use EXISTS to return only clients with a matching record in the subscription table. Something like:
Code:
SELECT c.clientEmail
FROM   Client c
WHERE  EXISTS (
           SELECT n.ClientID
           FROM   ClientNewsLetter n
           WHERE  n.ClientID = c.ClientID
           AND    n.newsletterid IN 
           (
           ) 
    )

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Worked great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back