Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL query comparisons, Do I need an array?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperComputing

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2007
US
I have a local psql database and a remotely stored mysql database. They both have a 'Customer' table with a 'CustomerNumber' column.

I am currently comparing each customer in the local table with the customers in the remote table, and if the remote customer is missing, I list that customer from the local table. Like such:
'abbreviated code'
Code:
Customers = "SELECT CustomerNumber, [etc..] FROM Customer WHERE [...] ORDER BY [...]"
Set rsCustomers = LocalConn.Execute(Customers)

do until rsCustomers.EOF
   compare = "SELECT CustomerNumber FROM Dealers WHERE CustomerNumber = '" & Replace(rsCustomers("CustomerNumber"), "'", "''") & "' "		
   Set rscompare = RemoteConn.Execute(compare)
    IF rscompare.EOF = TRUE THEN
     for each x in rsCustomers.Fields
       Response.Write(x.name)
     next
    END IF
rsCustomers.MoveNext
loop

As you can see, this sends hundreds of queries to the remote. There has to be a way to do it with just one. When under load, or certain times during the day, the operation can time out, it takes forever as it is. If I do a simple, 'select all from remote and display' it's fast.

Is there a way that I can:
Select my customers from the local table
Select my customers from the remote table
Compare the results locally
Display the differences?

Thank you in advance.

Is there a way that I can:
Select my customers from the local table
Select my customers from the remote table
Compare the results locally
Display the differences?
of course :) the question isn't whether it's possible, but how can the problem be solved given the business and technical constraints.

the first thing that would improve preformance is solving the select n+1 problem. instead of querying the "2nd" database for a single row at a time querying for a set of ids.

some other things which will help solve the problem:
1. query a page of data instead off all the rows at once
2. run the process "off-line" and allow the user to review the results at later. depending on the amount of data this may be required.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

No, the question isn't whether it's possible. But neither did I want help optimizing my already inefficient code. So let me rephrase.

Will someone please be gracious enough to provide me with some example code snippets that I can insert into my existing asp page with English layman explanations that will guide me in the proper direction of how to compare a single local query with a single remote query in the local session and display the differences of that comparison?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back