Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sql profiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

le1234

Technical User
May 12, 2006
GB
new to using the sql profiler, i would like to be able to have the profiler running to trace/record when an error appears in the server logs, i also would like the results to be saved in a table. any advice / tips on how to set this up would be very helpful. i have previously tried but seem to end up with information overload. thanks in advance

Go through your SQL Logs. See what kind of errors you're getting that you're trying to trace. Let us know specifically where you want to start and we can help you better.

You're right about one thing, if you try to track everything, Profiler is going to kill SQL Server by hogging the resources and giving you information overload. You really need to define a smaller subset of what you want rather than saying "All Errors". One thing at a time is easier to track and resolve then everything at once.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

thanks for the reply, the error I am wanting to trace is 'Invalid buffer from client, Error: 17805, Severity: 20, State: 3'.

I'm not sure you should be looking at Profiler to track that error, but if you do want to try it anyway, it sounds like you should be tracking queries.

A couple of questions. What edition / version / SP setup for SQL do you have? What about your OS for SQL Server? Do you have consistent OSs for the PCs?
Does SQL Server exist on an IIS server and do you have it exposed to a Web page?

Buffer errors tend to be Denial of Service attacks or other hacks (kernal exploits, etc.) because not all the appropriate Service Packs have been applied or security on your server is not as tight as it should be. I would start here first before worrying about Profiler.

If you want to do Profiler anyway, try the following events and do NOT exclude system IDs because you want to see if it might be a server issue.

ErrorLog & EventLog under Errors & Warnings, SP:StmtStarting, SP:Starting & RPC:Starting under Stored Procedures, and then pick a few items under T-SQL (SQL: StmtStarting & Exec Prepared SQL). These items should get you started.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

thanks again for your help, will do some further investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back