Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL*PLUS and/or SQL*NET Client is missing.. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nagornyi

MIS
Nov 19, 2003
US
I installed Oracle8i for w2k in OraHome81, now I am trying to install Oracle Form and Reports 6i DEMO in OraHomeDEMO (not alloowing at the same home). The error message says

SQL*PLUS and/or SQL*NET Client is required for demos installation.
Please install these products before installing demos.

There is SQL*PLUS in OraHome81 and it works fine, but looks like something different is needed..
Amy help appreciated.

I believe they have to be installed in the same Oracle Home that you are trying to install the demos in.

I would think so... but:
when I use Oracle8i installation disk trying to install SQL*PLUS into OraHomeNT it says:

OraHomeNT is used as Oracle Home for DEMO products and can not be used to install Oracle8i products
(though it DID NOT install any demo products there and failed right in the beginning).

OK, I created a new home OraHomeDEMO and installed SQL*PLUS there (just that). Now I am trying to use this as a home for DEMO, hoping that DEMO disk would like this home because the SQL*PLUS is now there. However, the DEMO disk says:

The location specified....is already used as an Oracle home for Oracle817 products. It can not be used as Oracle home for 'nt'

I am puzzled on how to break this circle of reciprocal animosity..
Any suggestions?

You should have compatible version of sql*plus within the same home. Normally those demos are installed after installing Forms/Reports 6i. I'm not sure that distribution contains Forms/Reports runtimes, that are mandatory to launch demo applications. So my suggestion is to install Forms/Reports 6i and sql*plus first.

Regards, Dima

You may be right, I don't have Reports disk right now to check. But then, what the idea of having DEMO anyway?
Wouldn't it be logically correct sequence to install a demo product first, to see what the product is and what it can do for you, and only after that decide if you need the product itself? I have another CD -- Oracle Reports Curriculum. The CD teaches how to use Reports6i. THAT disk is for people who are going to use Reports for sure. And it works fine without Reports installed...
Yeah..it's really difficul for us people spoiled by Microsoft user-friendly products to get used to other things...

I think you've been misled by the name DEMO. This bundle is not a set of screenshots but rather a set of reusable libraries written to be used with Forms/Reports and a number of modules indeed utilizing them intended to demostrate some more or less advanced techniques. So this product is for developers, not for evaluators.

Regards, Dima

Thank you Dima. That makes DEMO disk yet more interesting. The name is misleading indeed though.
Just a brief note: not nesessarily a demo is a set of screenshots. Often is is a fairly functional program with some limitations, like time of use, or unability to save work on disk, etc. That's what I expected.

I don't know what disk you're talking about, but till in 6.0 these demos were a part of common distribution. The whole bunch was called "Forms/Reports Benefits and Features Demos" (don't know about current situation), this probably may explain their non-selfsufficiency.

Regards, Dima

We are looking at upgraging our server from nt to w2k will Oracle 8i have to be reinstalled for windows 2000?

Hi,
I am not sure an upgrade will retain any of your software settings, but I am not sure..I have always done a clean install of W2K, not an upgrade.

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back