Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL/PHP SET PASSWORD/FLUSH PRIVILEGES

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwoman

Programmer
Nov 16, 2004
US
I found this today while I was trying to figure out why I was having password issues when trying to install a php forum.
Everything I found says it is a pw hashing problem because of mysql 5. And that I need to revert the password to the old 4.1 algorithm...

====================================================
12 Jun 06 11:10
Sounds like a password hashing problem

mysql> use mysql;

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'username'@'hostname' = OLD_PASSWORD('password');

mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

where username is your mysql user that you're trying to connect as, hostname is the host (probably localhost in your case) and the last 'password' is the password you wish your user to use.

This will revert the password back to the older algorithm and should allow php to connect again. To force new accounts to be made with the old style passwords, you can edit /etc/my.cnf and add "old-passwords" as an option under the [mysqld] section and restart mysql...

Dodge20
==========================================================

I have tried to SET PASSWORD and FLUSH PRIVILEGES using the user@********.secureserver.net "go daddy changed 'localhost' to their own hostname"

I get the following error:

#1044 - Access denied for user 'jwalk@'*' to database 'mysql'

Any ideas?

Thanks

are you sure you're in the right forum? ;-)

[sub]____________ signature below ______________
I am Tedward Keyboardhands!!!
You are a amateur developer until you realize all your code sucks.
Jeff Atwood[/sub]

You'll want to ask this in the MySQL forums not the Microsoft SQL forums.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back