Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sql performance issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

eoghan07l

Technical User
Sep 12, 2007
IE
I am using sql2000 and i am having some performance issues when runnig a batch job on against the database, are there any tools or procedures to run performance checks against the database. The jobs complete however they take double and sometimes triple the expected time to complete

Star by checking your session to make sure it's not being blocked. You can run SQL profiler from any other PC than the SQL Server as profiler consumes a lot of resources.
Profiler will show you everything that is running on the server while your session is running too.

Also, check you indexes. make sure they are not fragmented and you have all the expected indexes.

- Paul
- If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

Sorry, I hit submit to fast. To check if your session is be blocked you can run sp_who2 or check out the FAQ section here for sp_who3 which has more information than sp_who2.

- Paul
- If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

How exactly is SQL Compare going to help the op deal with a performance issue?

In additional the places that Paul has pointed you towards, take a look at your memory usage on the server, SQL may be taking all the RAM. By default SQL will take all the memory on the server. You may need to scale it back a little bit to ensure that there is enough ram for the OS. If Windows doesn't have enough memory, everything will slow down.

How big is the database, how much RAM do you have in the system? How long does the batch job take, and what is it doing, how many rows is it touching, etc? Have you checked the execution plan(s) of the batch job's queries to make sure that everything is indexed correctly?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back