Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL ODBC DTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkyrose

Programmer
May 9, 2007
US
Hi,

I'm fairly new to SQL Server, so apologies if this is a no-brainer.

I have a SQL Server Database, with Access front end, linked through an ODBC connection. (call this "My Db")

I wanted to link a table from another Db (which is on the same server as my Db) directly to Access but can't because the primary key of the table I want to link is of the Bigint data type which Access can't handle.

I tried a CREATE VIEW statement in the other Db, using [CAST (column_name as "float")] but with no success. I know Access can handle 'float' because that's what My PK is.

Basically, I need some way to maintain a dynamic 'copy' of the table in My Db, in which I can change the data type.

Creating a copy in My Db was no problem (I used the DTS Wizard) but I can't think/work out how to make it a dynamic copy that Access can link to.

As I say, sorry if this is obvious. If someone can at least point me in the right direction I can probably work out the details....

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried Int too but with no success. Is there another function other than CAST that would be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back