Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL '(null)' login failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2007
US
Hi, i'm pressed for time to figure this out, so I am hoping you all can help. When attempting to attach to a local SQL server though enterprise manager, i get the following error.

"Logon failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL server connection."

I'm not quite sure how to log into the SQL server under a different account to make sure the users are right. I cannot reboot this server, nor can I restart the services at this moment in time. I'd have to wait a week at least since it's a process control server. Let me know what you think. I'll be digging for answers in the mean time.

If you are trying to connect with a SQL Account and the server is setup for Windows auth only you can get this.

You can also get this when your workstation isn't sending your NTLM acount information correctly to the SQL Server.

Try rebooting your workstation.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

MrDenny, thank you for the feedback. The people ended up being able to reboot this morning and did. Everything started working just fine after the reboot. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent future problems like this from coming up. I don't always have the option to reboot so I am hoping that there is a "non reboot" answer for this.

Typically rebooting is the answer. The problem is an underlying Windows Authentication issue where the token that is generated isn't being passed to the SQL Server correctly.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Thank you MrDenny, that does help out with figuring things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back