Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

skia

Programmer
Feb 1, 2002
GR
Hi my name is Nick and i'am from Greece! I'am thinking of learning SQL because i heard that is the better Databse thereis outthere!

Could someone explain me what is the beneftits of sql or mysql(i also hear this too) and maybe suggest me some good books to learn it?

Thanks very much! Intel Inside, Idiot Outside!

Hello Skia,

SQL is a language, Structured Query Language, used with relational database management systems such as Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, Microsoft Access, and many more. Each RDBMS extends SQL and the extensions are different from vendor to vendor. While the core is stable some vendors may not support every standard feature. SQL cannot be used for anything by itself. You must have a database system to run it against. You can practice SQL with Access, or go to the Oracle website for developers and order a free copy of Oracle Personal Edition.

If you page forward twice by clicking "Next 10 Threads", you'll see an offer for a free SQL book. It was posted on Jan 28th. It's a pretty quick download (depending on your connection of course) and appears to be a reasonably good introduction to SQL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back