Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Native Client links on 64-bit machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yetanotherjo

Technical User
Oct 5, 2003
AU
I tried the Access forum and didn't get an answer so thought I'd try the SQL people...Has anyone found a way to link SQL Server 2005 tables to Access on a 64-bit machine? Any work-arounds/solutions/suggestions?

Have you already tried to link them? I'm assuming the process would be similar to the process of linking in a 32 bit environment, but I'm just guessing because my company doesn't use 64bit systems here.

If you have tried to link them, post what you did and the error messages you get when you do "X". We might be able to help based on that.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

The procedure should be the same. The client doesn't know what platform it's connecting to. Do you have any of the additional info that Catadmin asked about?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Thanks for replying guys. Ok, not having worked with 64-bit systems before the painfull process went along the lines of:
- happily install Express and associated bits on server, install database and all works fine when linked from 32-bit workstations.
- attempt to install .net and Native Client on 64-bit system (Windows XP Prof x64) - system refused to install 32-bit drivers, so I downloaded and installed the 64-bit versions ok.
- set up ODBC (Native Client) links, tested ok in ODBC setup.
- Went to link to Access-based application, and couldn't see the Native Client link to the database. Tried in Access and same thing, did quick google and found out Access not supported on 64-bit. Tried software company who couldn't help (Access platform issue and they've not really tested/don't support 64-bit 'cause it's hybrid c*p apparently...not real helpful, but that's how they work unfortunately and when you're a captive audience...).

What I was wondering is if there is a way to force the 32-bit .net and Native Client driver to install or a patch/way to con Access into accepting the 64-bit driver?

Sounds like this is a case for Microsoft, unfortunately. Check out their support website ( and follow the "Select your product" links to see if they have anything posted. I'm thinking they have an 800 # buried somewhere along the link so you can call them and open a case.

However, if you have an Access version older than Office 2003, I doubt you're going to have any luck. It might be a matter of upgrading to 2005 on the Office/Access side, but I can't find anything at the moment on Access 2005.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

Thanks Catadmin...hmmm support seems to be horribly unsupportive. Seems my client really is on the "bleeding edge".

As the currently isn't a 64bit version of Office I can see where the problems might be comming from. You won't be able to install the 32bit version of .NET on the 64 bit OS. That would kill the OS.

You might want to try getting the Office 2007 beta. It should have a 64bit version. If it's available it might help (it could also hurt).

You may need to tell your client that they need to install the 32bit version of Windows on the machines to get the software to work.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Yup, changing windows is about where we got to. We're going to try rebuild one that's already died as a 32-bit and see how we go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back