Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Maintenance Plan Backups Are Failed, How to TroubleShoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

txdave35

Technical User
Nov 20, 2008
US
Hi guys,

We just upgraded to a new server and SQL 2008. I set up a maintenance plan to backup the main databases and create a transaction log backup. The plans worked fine for 2 weeks, but now I am getting errors. I noticed that the .bak backup files are being created, but it is failing on the step to create a transaction log .trn backup.

The only thing I can find in the error logs is the message Backup failed error 3041. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place to find a detailed explanation for the error. Microsoft says to look at the SQL server log for explanation. The server log tells me to look at the application log which tells me nothing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some troubleshooting tips?

Were you backing up the transaction log before you upgraded to 2008?

What it sounds like is the database(s) recovery mode is set to Simple. When this is the case you will not be able to backup the transaction file.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility!!! [afro]

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back