Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL MAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuncFair

Technical User
Jul 23, 2001
US
Two Questions

How can I format the text of a SQLMAIL email (bold, font,etc)?

and

What are the filetype options for sp_processmail?

xp_sendmail provides no formatting options.

You can choose whatever file type you want in sp_processmail. As noted in BOL, the default is TXT, which makes sense as you are returning a text file containing the result set of a query. Terry L. Broadbent
faq183-874 contains some tips and ideas for posting questions in these forums. Please review it if you have time.

1.) Sorry, but there ARE formatting options for xp_sendmail, I've actually used it in the past but can't remember the syntax.

2.) As far as the filetypes available for sp_processmail, I was actually looking for something beyond what is available in BOL (only TXT and CSV are mentioned).

Thanks anyway,
Dunc

I'm surprised. I've been working with xp_sendmail for years and the only formatting options I find in BOL are width and separator. I find nothing for bold, font, etc. Please tell me where to find this info.

As for the file type, simply specify the file type in the sp_processmail execution. You can put anything you want - .abc, .doc, .xls, ... What did you have in mind? Remember, the only purpose of file type is to determine the file extension of the file containing the result set. It doesn't determine file format. Terry L. Broadbent
faq183-874 contains some tips and ideas for posting questions in these forums. Please review it if you have time.

Terry,

Maybe it's undocumented, but I know I got the answer from one of the multitude of forums I monitor. Unfortunately, I can't remember where. I have asked a client for whom I wrote a trigger that uses BOLD in text parameter to email me the script and I will post when I get it.

As for the filetype, I am looking for options in getting attachments via SQLMail that will open in Excel (without looking like *&%$).

Best Regards,
Dunc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back