Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Mail w/Outlook hanging

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonU

MIS
Jan 31, 2002
CA
I am moving an application from an NT4 box running SQL 7 to a Win 2003 server running SQL 2000 (SP3) that requires mail for incoming data. I have configured SQL Mail (& Agent Mail) according to all the MS KB recommendations (domain account, admin, etc.). I can send & receive mail manually and the SQL configuration works, sort of.

If I leave Outlook closed and process the mail application everything works fine. If I then open Outlook (to get it to retrieve mail) I get a message indicating that the post office file is in use. I have to use Query Analyzer and run xp_stopmail to get Outlook to open successfully.

If I leave Outlook open and try to process the mail the job fails again usually with a message indicating a conflict on the postoffice file. I say usually because occasionally it will just lock up the job requiring stopping/starting SQL Agent, SQL itself, and in one instance the server.

On our NT/SQL7 machine we leave the Outlook running all the time and the processing jobs (which are scheduled) run successfully.

Any ideas out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back