Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQl.LOG file gets huge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexschmidt

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2003
ZA
I am running SQL Server 2000 and after running out of HD space found the sql.log file to be the HD space consuming culprit,going into GB's of space. Deleting the file results in the automic re-creation of a new one that grows at approx 80MB a day. Is this normal, if not, what could be the problem and is there any way in which I can restrict the size? - Thanks

What folder is sql.log in? What information is in the file?

I don't have a file named sql.log on my servers.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]

Sorry Denny, can only get back to you tomorrow on that one. Home now and server is at workplace. Found the file with an Explorer search and didn't pay attention to exact location. Thanks anyway

Ive posted a reply to a similar question before, its an ODBC trace you have running - a performance killer.

Goto ODBC Data Source administrator and turn it OFF.

Just turning the option off in ODBC Manager might not be enough. I had a similar problem when running an older version of MDAC. It didn't really turn off the option when unchecking the log box. What I had to do was search the registry for any reference to SQL.LOG and delete the registry key. An ugly, brute-force approach, but it worked.

Thanks guys - problem solved, in my case not necessary to hack the registry.

What solved your issue? Was it SonOfEmidec1100's post? If it was, how about giving them a star to show your appreciation for their help? How do you give a star? Easy, go to the post that helped you, at the bottom left there is a 'pink' star followed by "Thank .... for this valuable post". Just click on that and follow the directions. If no one's post helped you, please post what did solve your problem.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back