Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Loader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chao

MIS
Jun 17, 2002
US
Hi,

I am importing some data into a table from a delimited text file. Unforturnately the text file contains NULL records:

ID|First Name|Last Name
1|John|Smith

2|Mary|White
3|Ken|Gray

My question is how can I signal to SQL Loader to ignore any null record.

Thanks for your responses...

Do u mean u have empty lines in the file. If so remove the blank lines from the file and then run ur sql loader script against the file.

Thanks,
Pramod

Removing the space is simply not possible due to the size of the file and the fact that blank lines appears randomly in the file.

I found the solution and would like to share it with you all. Just increase the maximum # of records SQL Loader can discard in the control file.

Thanks,
CHAO

You can use the WHEN clause to only add records where the destination field will not equal NULL:
Code:
options(errors=10)
load data				-- Keywords to start SQL Loader
infile 'D:\FTP\SATR\satxref.txt'	-- Import file and path
into table AGENT_XREF TRUNCATE		-- Table to import into
[b]     when (WORK_TYPE <> '')[/b]
(
 AGENT_ID    position(01:04)  CHAR,
 AGENT_NAME  position(05:24)  CHAR "INITCAP(:AGENT_NAME)",
 DIALER_ID   position(25:31)  CHAR "LOWER(:DIALER_ID)",
 SUPERVISOR  position(32:50)  CHAR "INITCAP(:SUPERVISOR)",
 WORK_TYPE   position(60:62)  CHAR,
 CENTER      CONSTANT 'SAT'
)

Yes, you need to increase your errors to be able to handle the number of blank lines.

Terry
* General Disclaimer - Please read *
Please make sure your post is in the CORRECT forum, has a descriptive title, gives as much detail to the problem as possible, and has examples of expected results. This will enable me and others to help you faster...

Hi Terry,

Does SQL Loader treat '' as NULL? If so then this is very different from SQL statement. I will give your suggestion a try. Thanks for your feedback.

CHAO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back