Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL file Administration structure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

latitude800

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2006
US
I have about 15 databases on SQL server 1 including production, testing and development. The data files are going to the SAN (J) and log files are going to (K. for example

j:\mssql\datafiles\ -- 15 databfiles reside here --
k:\ log files
L:\ all my back up -

Like you can see all my files reside on the SAN but also I am getting back on tape.

IS a better way to do my file structure, Would you be so kind in give an advice..

Thanks

Jimmy

My personal preference is to use the Microsoft folder structor "/mssql/mssql/data/" to store the data in. I put the logs in the same structor.

Backups should be a different drive as you have them setup.

Drive layout should all depend on your server load and the size of your databases. Here is a FAQ I wrote on drive setup faq962-5747.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

I agree with Denny. Whatever else you decide, you should structure your file paths the same except for the last little "logs" and "data" folders. This way, when restoring backups, you only have to remember one path name (aside from drive letters) and don't have to search for the paths.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back