Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Express 2005 new instance creation issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepc

MIS
Jul 26, 2002
US
I have a 2003 sp2 physical server. I have SQL Express 2005 installed (not sure of the SP sorry) with two existing instances, V-Center and Backup Exec 12. Long story short I am installing two new applications, v-replicator and v-ranger.

These apps would like to create a new instance in SQL Express but they end up failing right at the very end of the SQL DB install at "installing components/online books". It gives the error: the installation package for the product Microsoft SQL Server 2005 tools express edition cannot be found. Try the installation package again using a valid copy of the installation package 'sqlrun_tools.msi'.

When the "create database" piece of the install begins it creates a temp folder (aef092f......) with a bunch of sql msi files. When the install fails the folder goes away. I'm not sure if these files are created by the existing install of SQL Express or if they are bundled with the installer.

Also, there is an option to install the DB to an existing instance. Is there a way to create an instance right from SQL Express Management Studio?

One last thing sorry. Can I also install SQL Express 2008 on a same machine that is running SQL Express 2005?

Thanks in advance!!!

In order to add an instance to your existing system you need to run the install program and as part of the setup it should detect that there is already a default instance installed and let you install a named instance.

Not sure about 2k8 and 2k5 living together. I would think it would be ok as long as 2k8 was installed as a named instance.

Ok i just did it but my new instance had the name of SQLExpress how can i name it what i want???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back