Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Export Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlager

Programmer
Sep 1, 2006
US
I was wondering if someone could point me in the correct direction... I'm not quite sure where to start or what to start with.

I have several SQL statements that I have developed for several customers who are all on a the same application. I would like to provide them with the ability to get a result-set in Excel from those SQL statements.

I don't want them being able to view the SQL statements and I don't have access to their system. I'm essentially selling them the processed data for their system.

What would be the best way to distribute a scenario like this to my customers? I understand that someone smart enough could probably figure out the SQL it was executing, but I think you get where I'm going w/ this.

Step 1: Execute .exe
Step 2: Specify ODBC Data Source
Step 3: Specify location to save Excel file w/ Result Set from the embedded SQL statement written for that ODBC data source.

I may not fully understand all the limitations you're facing, but if you embed your SQL statements within your distributed EXE, you should be fine for MOST users (ODBC traces, SQL Profiler, etc could be used to peak).

Alternatively, if you have control over the database itself, you could write stored procedures that do what the queries do, and encrypt them. That way they could call the SPs from any application that supports calling an SP.

--------------

I'm not understanding your environment either...

-Create DTS package to export .xls file.
-Execute DTSRun to run this package
(Or you can create SQL job to run DTS)

If I don't understand what you want to do, please give me more detail.

koichi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back