Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Driver Issues - MDAC Didn't Resolve

Status
Not open for further replies.

espressomaker

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2002
US
I'm having issues with a client computer running MS Office 2007 Pro on XP SP2. The client uses Access to connect to an MS SQL 2005 DB. Opening the DB gives an error about ODBC connection failed.

I went into the ODBC connections and, when attempt to open the applicable System DNS, I get: "The setup routines for the SQL Server ODBC driver could not be loaded due to system error code 193" followed by another error message: "Could not load the setup or translator library". I get the same errors if I attempt to create a new DNS with the SQL Server driver.

The SQL Server driver listed in the Drivers tab say the version is Not Marked. I re-installed the MDAC from the C:\windows\inf directory but it made no difference. I also downloaded/installed SQL Server Express and SP to no avail. Lastly, I checked the existence of SQLSRV32.dll and refs in the registry which all checked out.

This is a new Dell PC, in-place with the user for about a week, and it was working fine when the user was initially migrated. I'm practically out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Does the SQLSRV32.dll file actually exist in the proper directory? You usually get this error when the dll file is missing. Where did you check in the registry? The odbc area?

"I think we're all Bozos on this bus!" - Firesign Theatre [jester]

Yes, I confirmed that SQLSRV32.dll is on the system disk and all registry entries refer to the correct path. I did this by searching the registry for every instance of "SQLSRV32.dll".

The solution: I resorted to a Windows Repair initiated from the OEM XP disk. All was well when the system came back up. I'm not crazy about carpet bombing a problem like that but it worked. Still no idea what the cause of the problem was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back