Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL, display different field

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB90

Technical User
Jul 11, 2005
US
I would like to use an sql to fill a form. If field a is blank I want to display field b instead. Can I do this?

Look for "IIF Function" in the help file

I tried:

Expr1: IIf(IsNull([tblPendReq]![intRmID]),[tblRoomName]![txtRoomName],[tblRoomType]![txtRoomType])

I have 3 tables; PendReq (primary table for this form)
RoomName(key=intRmKey), & RoomType(key=intRmTypeID).
PendReq has a tracking Number, RoomType, and room Name fields. (RoomName can be blank)

When I link the keys for all subtables, I only get records where RoomName has a value. When I don't link the key to roomName, I get a record for each PendReq, duplicated for each RoomName in RoomName table.

What I want is to show each record in PendReq. When RoomName is present, I want to show that, otherwise I want to show RoomType.

Have a look at LEFT JOIN

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back