Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Database relocate??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kneeslider

Technical User
May 6, 2004
DE
Hi everyone,
I have the folowing problem,

I have installed MSSQL 2000 on drive d:
What i need to do is rename drive D: to F: , the problem is, is that the SQL Datafiles are on D:
If i rename D: to F: the SQL server will not start.

I have a copy of the complete folder hirachy on C:
Would it be possible to change on a temp basis the location, then rename D: to F: and after update the file location?

Problem is, i am not sure how to do it or were i can change it :eek:(

The only thing i can see that might be it, is under the Database settings tab in enterprise manager looking under database default location???

I just dont want try it without asking first, as if i do, SQL will not start anymore :eek:(

Thanx

Are your system database( Master, MSDB, Temp and Model) on the D: drive too???

Thanks

J. Kusch

What I would suggest is that you detach your User databases via Enterprise Manager, copy them to a folder outside of the default SQL Server data folder for safe keeping and then UnInstall SQL Server, rename your drive from D: to F: and then ReInstall SQL Server to the new F: drive.

You would be able to do a shuffle in that you could move your system DBs to the C: drive temporarily, then detach all of your User DB, rename the drive from D: to F:, move back your System DBs, reAttach your User DBs and hope it all works out.

I fear that it will not work due to registery entries and other such SQL Server hooks will get fouled up when the dirve changes from D: to F:.

Thanks

J. Kusch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back