Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL & Crystals over the Web ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phwrd

MIS
Apr 19, 2000
US
Need to report through crystal reports 9.0 Developer over the web from a SQL 2000 database. Looking for the best way to do this on a budget.

Can store the crystal reports on the remote machines. But the machines don't have sql or direct access to the sql database.

Can either transfer the data via ftp into a temporary database. Can i use MSDE on the local machine to temp store the data for output ? Have seen this done with an access database.

Or can i run the report as an executable via an existing web based application (and pay the programmer.) How do I call for the data across the net ?

Someone suggested a vpn connect ?

Or what is the easiest / best way to do something like this.

As always am looking for the easy, cheap solution on a time critical situation. My programming experience is with sql not net based.

Thanks in advance for any advise.
phoward

You have various options:

Crystal Enterprise
3rd party products
write code

vpn is just a form of security over a web connection and does nothing for using reports, rather it's used by most corporations for remote work.

You might consider using a 3rd party tool to schedule exported versions of the reports in Excel or PDF.

check:

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back