Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Crashing and restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenSimmons

Programmer
Nov 26, 2003
US
I cannot figure out what is causing sql to recycle itself. The logs are as follows...

1. Using dbghelp.dll
2. SqlDumpExceptionHaldler: Process 12656 generated fatal exception c0000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION Sql Server is terminating this process.
3. Stack Signiture for the dump is 0xCF575380
4. Sql Server is aborting fatal exception c0000005 caught.

Does anyone have any ideas or can anyone lead me in the right direction.

Thanks

I should also add that I am running sql 2000 sp4.

Just out of curiosity, what OS is SQL running on?

I've heard that SQL 2k and Windows Server 2003 don't get along very well for some reason. Even ran into a problem at one of my jobs with a job created by the DB Maint. Planner because of it.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back???

Take a look in the minidump files that should be created each time this happens. They can profide insite as to what is going on.

You may need to reapply the service pack. Another poster had a problem where the service pack didn't get applied all the way as was getting dump errors for no reason.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(Not quite so old any more.)

Take a look at the Windows Event Viewer Logs....they sometimes give messages that relate to SQL Server events.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back