Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sql connections over a routed link

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjb22

Technical User
Mar 18, 2003
GB

Hi all

I have a problem. I am trying to make sql connections to a server that is sat behind a firewall. I am sat on the other side of the firewall and behind a couple of routers. I can ping the server, map network drives to it etc etc but I just can't make an sql connection.

the 2 routers that I am sat behind are Cisco 1720 with encryption enabled.

Any help would be appricated.

Ensure port 1433 is open to the SQL server david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

Thanks for that.

Ports 1433 and 1444 are open on the firewall. Anything else i need to open up on the routers etc ?

Any Access Control Lists on the routers between you and the SQL server? One thing you can do is open a telnet application and attempt a connection over port 1433 to the SQL server. If you connect without any problem then the setup could be in your ODBC Connection on your local workstation. Is your ODBC connection setup with a HostName or IP Address of the SQL server? If it's a hostname, try to ping the host name to make sure your system can see it. If you are unable to ping the hostname, put the IP Address in your ODBC connection setup.

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

Hi sobak (MIS) Apr 9, 2003
How do you actually type in that you want port 1433 open from a telnet session? In other words, what is the syntax to actually do this??

Thanks

Gman

[2thumbsup]

telnet hostIP portno

here is a failed attempt

"C:\>telnet 192.168.1.1 1433
Connecting To 192.168.1.1...
delay while telnet attempts to connect
Could not open a connection to
host on port 1433 : Connect failed"

here is a successful attempt:

C:\>telnet 192.168.1.1 1433
long delay with blank screen while telnet attempts to
establish a session

Connection to host lost.
C:\>

you can look on the server while attempting to telnet in -
you'll see the session - then you know port 1433 is open
all the way from the source to the destination.

"If you lived here, you'd be home by now!"

George Carlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back