Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Connection issue only with one particular ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SatishPutcha

Programmer
Mar 12, 2002
IN
Hello All,

My problem seems quite odd [ponder].

I have three internet connections. One is a DSL connection through a wireless router and another a PCMCIA data-card. The third one which is also a broadband connection with static IP direct (no router) to my laptop.

Now I am able to connect to the SQL Server DB using SSMSE when using the wireless or PCMCIA card. However using the direct DSL connection I am not able to connect. I get the following error:
---------------------------------------------------
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)
---------------------------------------------------

The settings in all three cases have not been altered. They are left as default.

Any ideas why I am not able to connect from one particular connection while able to from others? Is there any port I need to ask my ISP to open?

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks and Regards,
Satish

I assume that the SQL Server is out on the internet?

Your ISP probably closed the port to SQL Server. That would be port 1433.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Denny, Thank you very much for your reply.

I spoke to my ISP and they claim 1433 is open. I am not sure what else to do now.

Regards,
Satish

Open a command prompt and telnet to the SQL Server on port 1433. If you get a blinking cursor then the connection works. If you get an error there is a firewall somewhere between you and the server which is blocking the connection.

If you can't get the connection working the best solution would be to setup VPN between you and the location of the SQL Server. It's best to never allow internet access directly to your SQL Server as that's how databases are broken in to.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back