Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sql connection for ASP.Net vs VB.Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schimsky

Programmer
Oct 4, 2003
US
Hi,

I'm really new to sql server. I just installed MSDE 2000 on our company's network server. Then I quickly wrote a VB.Net program to access a database on the server. I used this code:

Dim objConn As New SqlConnection("workstation id=steve;packet size=4096;integrated security=SSPI;data source=SQLSERVER;persist security info=False;initial catalog=TXNIC")

Dim objCommand As New SqlCommand
Dim objDa As New SqlDataAdapter
Dim objDs As New DataSet

objCommand.CommandText = "Select * From Candidates"
objCommand.Connection = objConn
objDa.SelectCommand = objCommand
objDa.Fill(objDs, "Table1")
MessageBox.Show(objDs.Tables("Table1").Rows(10).Item("LastName"))
objConn.Close()

The above Code Worked perfectly!!!

Then I took the same code as above, (except for the Messagebox line), and placed in an ASP.Net web page. It bombed with this error:

Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks.

Steve

The connection made with ASP.net uses the system account on the web server, try changing the connection string to use SQL authentication and not Windows

data source=localhost;initial catalog=testdb; UID=myuser; PWD=mypass

replace the uid and pwd with whatever you use and see if that works.

shatch's response is correct and will work fine if you accept non-trusted (sql server) logins - like the infamous SA account...

If you don't, you will need to make sure of the account that your webserver is using to connect to SQL.. USUALLY (90% of the time) it is ASPNET, but I have found that depending on how I author the site, it could also very easily be the iusr_machineName account.

To find out open IIS MAnager/Site/Properties/Directory Security

Click Edit on the Anonomous Access/Authentication Section and then see what account iis uses.. Provide that account a login and useraccount on your MSDE database, or just change it to ASPNET and then add the Account as a login and also as a valid user of the database you are building your objects in.. Then be prepared to add permissions to access your tables/views/storedprocs/functions..

Don't want to make it sound daunting, but there are a few steps you need to look after to make SQL work.

HTH

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back