Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL components Analysis Services and SQL repository on same SQL Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dprello

IS-IT--Management
Sep 27, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a question about a potential implementation of NetIQ.... I am looking for opinions in regards to the following.

My client wants to implement NetIQ. NetIQ has suggested to implement using two SQL servers. One for the Repository server (offering a retention of 6 months) the other server would include the SQL Analysis and Reporting Services. There will, of course be 2 management servers which will provide the front end and redundancy.

My client wants to put all SQL services onto one HP BL40. which includes 4 300GB drives, 12 GB RAM, and 4 Processors running at 3.2Ghz, I beleive.

What are the Microsoft best practices in regards to what SQL components are installed and in operation? Do you feel the Blade server would support 300+ servers and monitoring or will we see a performance hit?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rello

Putting Analysis Services on the same server with another else is asking for trouble. SSAS will take all the resources that it wants. There's not much of a way to control what resources it takes. I would very much recommend using two servers, one for SQL, and one for SSRS and SSAS.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back