Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrism2278

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2005
US

We are prepping for a PSQL to SQL conversion.

After running a test conversion we had the Macola client installed on all the workstations. We neglected to load the sql client on most of these workstations. Macola SQL seems to work fine without the sql client...we have loaded and changed existing records.

Was there a recent change to the Macola SQL client installation that allows us not to load the SQL client...or are we on thin ice.

Did you at least install connectivity only? If not even that then I would question two things.

1. Are these clients truley accessing SQL data or are they still accessing btrieve data.

2. If you did install connectivity only then you are asking for some trouble especially if you try to run some of the setup or admin tools (especially visual menu builder).

3. Were you able to access and change the data from clients that did NOT get the client installed?

4. You MAY have had some of the sql clients on these machines from other applications, if you or a 3rd party have applications that use the MSDE as its backend database then you may have gotten lucky since the msde is basically access on steroids or SQL on downers.

I can not believe that your VAR would not instruct or install the client install on all the clients.

Have you gone live yet, or are you still in the testing stage?

Andy Baldwin

"Testing is the most overlooked programming language on the books!"

Ask a great question, get a great answer. Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.
Find out how to get great answers FAQ219-2884.

Yes..we are still testing and will install the SQL client.

I just wanted to know if Macola had a new client install where the separate SQL client install was not needed.

It definitely is hitting the sql tables. I thought the same thing about other apps using SQL (Eg. Saleslogix). But other workstations I tested did not have those apps installed.

Thanks

No, As for a normal install consist of
1. The sql client install (preferr to install the entire clinet not just the connectivity only.)
2. The Progression client install
3. The flex install if you have the flex module installed.

My only guess is that the other workstations may have had Saleslogix or some other application installed at some point and then removed. Also some other 3rd party selection software or whatnot may have installed the MSDE.

Andy Baldwin

"Testing is the most overlooked programming language on the books!"

Ask a great question, get a great answer. Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.
Find out how to get great answers FAQ219-2884.

The full SQL client is only needed if you are trying to upgrade from that computer or are using the visual menu builder or create company function.

As a rule, I only install client connectivity and with XP, you really don't need that since it comes built in. For users that NEED to do things within query analyzer or enterprise manager, I'll install the full set of tools but it's user specific.

Kevin Scheeler

Kevin,

SQL connectivity comes built in with XP Pro? I did not know that. Is that documented anywhere on Exact's portal?

This is very good to know.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"making predictions is tough, especially about the future" - Yogi Berra

I have found as a rule you don't "have to" install the Microsoft SQL client on workstation of any kind. Having said that I alway have installed the client (SQL2000), and then Service pack 4).

At a minimum the client connectivity tools allows you to specify which network library you witch to use for communication (I alway use TCP/IP -vs- named pipes). As it has been posted, Enterprise manager is required for the Visual Menu builder to work.

SQL connectivity is in MDAC, XP comes with MDAC 2.7, Macola installs MDAC when you install a client. Which version depends on which version of Macola you are dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back