Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sql brings out duplicate data

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortstuff2212

Programmer
Apr 12, 2002
GB
I have the following sql statement in the a report:-

SELECT Election.`ElectionID`, ElectionArea.`ElectionAreaName`, ElectionArea.`PollDist_Row`, ElectionArea.`EA_Code`, Election_PollingPlace.`Polling_Place`, Election_PollingPlace.`PD_Code`, Election_PollingPlace.`PS_Num`, PollingDistrict.`DistrictWard`, PollingStationRange.`ElectorateFrom`, PollingStationRange.`ElectorateTo`
FROM ((((Election AS Election INNER JOIN ElectionArea AS ElectionArea ON Election.`ElectionId` = ElectionArea.`ElectionID`) INNER JOIN PollingDistrict AS PollingDistrict ON ElectionArea.`EA_Code` = PollingDistrict.`DistrictWard`) INNER JOIN Election_PollingPlace AS Election_PollingPlace ON ElectionArea.`ElectionID` = Election_PollingPlace.`Election_ID`) INNER JOIN EM_PollingPlace AS EM_PollingPlace ON (Election_PollingPlace.`PD_Code` = EM_PollingPlace.`PD_Code`) AND (Election_PollingPlace.`Polling_Place` = EM_PollingPlace.`Polling_Place`)) INNER JOIN PollingStationRange AS PollingStationRange ON (Election_PollingPlace.`PS_Num` = PollingStationRange.`PSNumber`) AND (Election_PollingPlace.`PD_Code` = PollingStationRange.`PDCode`) AND (Election_PollingPlace.`PS_Code` = PollingStationRange.`PSCode`)
WHERE Election.`ElectionID` = 4 AND
ElectionArea.`ElectionAreaName` = 'MATLOCK ALL SAINTS'
ORDER BY
ElectionArea.`EA_Code`, Election_PollingPlace.`PD_Code`, Election_PollingPlace.`PS_Num`, PollingStationRange.`ElectorateFrom`;

This sql brings out the same record three times, one for each electoral area.

MATLOCK ALL SAINTS
DENHAM
ENDON

How do I stop this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kath

If they are identical, the simples means is to add the word DISTINCT after SELECT.

I didn't analyze the SQL closely, but it looks like you're using inner joins, which is probably correct, so it's a cartesian being raised as a result of the data itself I'd guess.

Here's a definition of a cartesian:

A quick cheat is to group by the Electoral Area and display data in the group footer or header only.

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back