Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Backup Agent Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcirillo

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2000
US
I am running ARCserve 661 SP2a, with NT4 SP6a. I am trying to backup a SQL database through the SQL agent and receive an error message every time. The message I receive is,
&quot;E8604 - Failed to start backup. (DBNAME = <dbname>. EC = backup agent error - (117) 'Configured value of Backup Buffer size is invalid. Please check SQL Server.'.)&quot; When I went on CA's support site it said that this error comes about when you are trying to backup a SQL 7.0 database with ARCserve6.6. Then they say to upgrade to 6.6.1. What happens when you receive this error when you are running 6.6.1? I have tried to reinstall the SQL Backup Agent, Backup through the network, and through Preferred Shared machines but none of these options have worked. Any guidance in the right direction will be appreciated. Thanks

Don't forget to apply SP2a to the SQL server running the SQL Agent. Just a thought...

You'll want to re-boot the SQL server after applying the SP though. Monkeylizard
-Isaiah 35-

I have run into the problem also. You NEED to upgrade the SQL agent to the most current version. This will definitely solve your problem. This MUST be done on the server with the SQL database.

I got the same error in the past. You only need to apply SP2a over the SQL agent (Do this on the server with the SQL database) and that's it. It should be fine.

Good luck!!!

Just a long shot, but was your application of the service pack successful? The SP2a setup did not copy new dll's or exe's to the working arcserveit directory in my case. Check the date on the \dbasql\dbasql70.dll (7/12/00) Good luck!

Just joined this site and am having the same error message as mcirillo.

However we are running SQL 6.5 not 7 and Arcserve 6.61 SP2a NT4. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back