Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL ASDB database no longer available

Status
Not open for further replies.

crickoman

Technical User
Apr 10, 2006
CA
Hi All,

I would need some help with this one...
We are running Arcserve 11.1 SP2 with a remote sql database. We recently had to replace ASDB database because it was too big and was taking too much disk space on the sql server. We detached the database, and create a new one with the setupsql.exe utility. Everything went fine, the database seems to work well, we are able to backup, merge and restore. The strange thing is that since then, the database engine stops itself at random for a reason we don't understand. Sometimes, when I open the manager in the morning, I can see the message box indicating that the database engine is starting. In the logs, I have "database engine is shutting down" and it seems to happen at random. I know that this behavior is usually associated with database corruption, but this database is a fresh one, so...don't have a clue. And everything seems to work just fine. I have search through the CA supportconnect site, tek-tips forum and google but it was not helpful. Can someone help ?

thanks

Chris

Depends on where you setup the SQL db. If you set it up as a remote DB in server admin (which is recommended) then you may need to re-enter the correct details in this dialog.

Alternatively if it is just a timeout issue or conflicting with housekeeping, you can extend the timeout from the ARCserve side by using the reg hack mentioned in this document:

If you're still no further forward after this it may be worth looking at the SQL logs to see if any light is shed on it from that side.

Thanks for your advice vschumpy,

I'm not sure what you mean by "Depends on where you setup the SQL db"...Can we setup a remote database from somewhere else than in server admin ? Maybe it's a stupid question, but I don't know a lot about arcserve, i'm only working with it since I was hired by this company a few months ago. Since then, I have learn a lot by reading the technical document index on the CA site and looking through this forum, but I still have a lot to learn...

We have already used this document you provide the link for and applied the reg hack when we set up the maintenance plan, after creating the new database. Correct me if i'm wrong, but if the database engine was shut down because of the maintenance plan (as mentionned in this document), it would happen only when the maintenance plan is running, once a week , always at the same time, right ?

Anyways, I will verify the setup in server admin, and the SQL logs and I'll let you know the result.

You can also setup a remote/central db thru central db admin (not recommended).

You are correct in that it should only show the message when the maintenance was running.

Also check the system and application event logs for messages from arcserve or sql around the time of the problem.

If it is a remote db then of course it could also be a network issue - check to see if the errors pop up around the same time when they occur and work from there.

Hello vschumpy,

We checked the logs from arcserve and sql, and found nothing relevant. 2 weeks ago, I don't know why, but I had the idea to try something : I let the arcserve manager window opened for the whole week (instead of closing it right after my morning verification, as I was used to do) and guess what: no database shutdown during this week. Then, last week, I return to my habits, and closed it each morning. It has only happened once since then...

So we have not found what the problem is, and I don't understand the link with the manager but it seems to be gone now, or at least, does not happen each day, as it did after replacing the database.

thanks for your help, and if you have another idea about this, just let me know...

Chris

Well when you have the manager open, depending on which dialog screen you have open it will open and keep open a connection to the db until the window is closed/destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back