Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL and Oracle Monitoring tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLScholar

Programmer
Aug 21, 2002
GB
Hey all,

Does anyone know of a tool that can monitor SQL servers?

Similar to redgate SQL response or idera dignostic manager - but does both SQL and oracle.

Basically i am now looking after both SQL and oracle, and it would be nice to have one place to look to keep a tab on all my servers.

Dan

----------------------------------------
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra

John,

I am not sure thats really what i am looking for.

What i am looking for is to be able to monitor the servers? So is the CPU working too hard, are the indexes fragmented, is the memory full, are the disks being hammered, are the databases locking etc.

Baiscally - i want a big flashing light to tell me one of the servers has an issue - or could have one soon.

Dan

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra

You can get Spotlight for SQL Server and Spotlight for Oracle. They both use the same framework and you'll only have to open a single spotlight console to view both SQL and Oracle.

Both are made by Quest Software (
Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

MrDenny,

Have just tried quest and downloaded the SQL and Oracle sportlight.

It seems to instal 2 different spotlights, and each one only deals with that type of server. Pity as it could have been quite good.

Also it doesnt seem to warn about fragmentation (one of our servers, that i havent fixed yet has an index that is 99% fragged) of indexes.

havent tried Embarcadero Performance center yet.

Dan

Are your Oracle servers hosted on a Windows box? can you get the details you need from windows performance counters?
Obviously this won't be any use if they are on Unix servers but it may be worth investigating.

John

Yes they are on a windows box.

I am no oracle expert but i was hoping to get more then just the windows stuff.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back